Do I Need A Registered Contractor?

5 of 12

Step 5: Do I Need A Registered Contractor?

If working in the city of Cincinnati, contractors must be registered with the City before they start work.

The following don't have to register:

  • The owner of a 1-, 2- or 3-family detached dwelling is exempt from registration -- as long as the homeowner personally performs the work upon the premises and will occupy the residence for at least one year after the work is complete.
  • If the property owner is physically unable to work on the premises, family members/volunteers may assist with the work. This circumstance will be reviewed on an individual basis.
  • Maintenance work as described in Cincinnati Building Code 1101.17 that is performed by the property owner would be allowable without registration.
  • An architect, professional engineer, or any other such person who is required by the Ohio Revised Code to attain standards of competency or experience is considered a professional service provider. When such an individual is acting exclusively within the scope of the profession for which they are either licensed or registered, they are exempted from registration as a contractor.

Need A Registered Contractor?

If the contractor you're looking for isn't listed, please call the Contractor Registration Section at 513-352-3271 and select OPTION  1 for help.

Are There Any Other Registrations I Should Ask About?

Plumbing Registration & Licenses: In order to obtain either a journeyman license or be registered as a licensed plumbing contractor, the candidate must present a certificate from the Board of Examiners of Plumbers or a plumbing contractor’s certificate issued by the Ohio Construction Industry Examining Board and pays the prescribed fee. Plumbing registrations/licenses must be renewed annually. Failure to do so requires reexamination by the Board and payment of the licensing fee.

Other Licenses: Only a company certified by the State of Ohio Fire Marshall can install fire protection equipment, such as fire alarms, sprinklers, smoke detection systems or standpipes. Concrete work performed in the City right-of-way must be done by a contractor licensed by the Department of Transportation and Engineering. Please call 513-352-3413 for more information.