National Register Historic Districts
The City of Cincinnati has 28 separate districts listed in the National Register. These districts range in size from a small grouping of three buildings to a collection of more than 1,200 buildings.
Additional information about the National Register of Historic Places can be obtained by contacting the City of Cincinnati Historic Conservation Office, the Ohio Historic Preservation Office, or the National Park Service. An independent website also provides brief descriptions of historic districts found in each state and county in the nation.
Betts-Longworth Historic District
Generally by Ezzard Charles, Central Avenue, Court Street, and Mound Street (West End)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Nov. 29, 1983 (No. 83004304)
Significance: The Betts-Longworth Historic District, also known as the Queensgate II Historic Redevelopment District, includes a well-preserved collections of c. 1860 to 1910 residences, which range in style from Italianate to Queen Anne. Decorative iron fences and low, stone walls are characteristic of the area and add to the area's strong sense of time and place. This area was once dotted by small estates and farmlands and comprised the northwestern border of the city limits.
Cincinnati East Manufacturing and Warehouse District
Between E. Court Street, E. 8th Street, Broadway, and Main Street (Central Business District)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed March 12, 1999 (No. 99000318)
Significance: Located at the eastern edge of the Central Business District, this district is characterized by predominantly five- to seven-story brick loft buildings with a number of single story automobile related commercial structures. The area is significant for its association with late 19th and early 20th century manufacturing activities, including printing and the production of paper, inks, and shoes. The most common architectural styles are Italianate and Chicago Commercial, but Richardsonian Romanesque, Classical Revival, Second Renaissance Revival, Art Deco, and International styles are also represented.
Cincinnati Observatory Historic District
Observatory Place (Hyde Park)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Sept. 20, 1978 (No. 78002080)
Significance: The focal point of the district is the National Historic Landmark Cincinnati Observatory, located at the end of the Observatory Place cul-de-sac. However, this district is also significant from an architectural point of view. The residences on either side of Observatory Place evolved from 1874 to 1916 and the result is a small streetscape that has several different styles. The Cincinnati Observatory exhibits a Greek Revival style while the residences exude styles including Victorian, French Second Empire, and Classical.
Clifton Avenue Historic District
Irregularly patterned along Clifton Avenue (Clifton)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Dec. 8, 1978 (No. 78002074)
Significance: This district is significant because the homes in the district are representative of a variety of architectural styles usually reserved for only the wealthiest clients during the latter part of the 19th century. The district is located in one of Cincinnati’s oldest suburbs and had residents who were leaders in establishing Cincinnati’s commercial and industrial growth. The geographic expansion was indicated by the large houses and spacious properties.
Columbia Tusculum Historic District
Eastern Avenue, Morris Place, Tusculum Avenue (Columbia Tusculum, East End)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listing Date and Reference No. Not Available
Significance: The Columbia Tusculum Historic District contains buildings that are predominantly residential buildings, churches, commercial buildings and cemeteries. Architecturally, the majority of the buildings are Victorian examples with lesser numbers of Gothic, Transitional, and Classical styles. Throughout the nineteenth century the Ohio River served this area, like other river communities, as a primary artery for trade. However, flooding problems kept this area from becoming a prosperous major commercial center.
Dayton Street Historic District
Bounded by Bank Street, Poplar Street, Linn Street, and Winchell Avenue (West End)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Jan. 25, 1973 (No. 73001457)
Significance: The Dayton Street Historic District area is a homogenous, built-up series of blocks, containing a group of representative 19th century detached town houses. The area was once the 19th century residential area for wealthy beer brewers and pork packers of Cincinnati. The majority of the buildings were erected between 1850 and 1890, and they are generally masonry, two- or three-story Italianate style homes. Low decorative iron fences and stone posts add to the area's strong sense of time and place.
East Fourth Street Historic District
123, 127, and 135-137 E. 4th Street (Central Business District)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Feb. 22, 1988 (No. 88000078)
Significance: The three buildings that comprise the East Fourth Street Historic District are significant to the history of Cincinnati’s Central Business District. Surrounded by newer, more modern buildings, this district is evidence of the early days of the Central Business District, and it represents one of the last vestiges of Cincinnati’s commercial development during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The buildings were all constructed around 1860 in the Italianate style but had French Second Empire Mansard attics added later. The main attraction in this district is the John Holland Pen Company, manufacturer of fine gold pens, metal cases, metal toothpicks, and other related products.
Eastwood Historic District
Bounded by Duck Creek Road, Collinwood Place, E. Eastwood, and Madison Road (Madisonville)
National Register of Historic Places - Listed Feb. 25, 2005 (No. 05000093)
Significance: The Eastwood Historic District is a fusion of overlapping and evolving 20th century trends rather than a representative example of a single distinctive type of residential suburb. It exemplifies various principles and practices of community planning, as well as specific architectural styles and development patterns that occurred throughout Cincinnati, the state, and the nation in the 1920s through the 1950s. It is also the first resource listed in Ohio specifically for the presence of Sears and Roebuck mail order homes.
Edgecliff Area Historic Group
2012-2022 Edgecliff Point (East Walnut Hills)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Nov. 11, 1977 (No. 77001063)
Significance: The six buildings comprising the southeast section of the Edgecliff College Campus -- Edgecliff (Thomas and Mary Emery House), Maxwelton (Lawrence Maxwell House), the Theater (Ferris House), Carriage House, and the Greenhouses -- were all excellent examples of stone Victorian architecture. All the buildings dated from between 1870 and 1890 and were united by the commonality of their construction material, a rockfaced stone. The original residents of these mansions were also notable 19th century personages, especially in philanthropic and judicial areas. Edgecliff, the Theater, and the Carriage House were all demolished in 1987; it can be presumed that the two greenhouses came down at the same time. Only the Ferris House and Maxwelton still remain standing. Due to its dramatic, wholesale loss of integrity, the Edgecliff Area should be delisted from the National Register. However, the Ferris House and Maxwelton should remain on the National Register as individually significant resources and a notable remnant of Edgecliff College.
NOTE: The address of 2200 Victory Parkway listed in the National Register nomination is incorrect.
Gilbert-Sinton Historic District
Roughly bounded by Morris, Gilbert and Sinton Avenues (Walnut Hills)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Oct. 6, 1983 (No. 83004306)
Significance: The buildings and location of the Gilbert-Sinton Historic District are a significant portrayal of the impacts public transportation can have on an area. All three boundaries were an important factor on the growth of the area. Eden Park provided scenery, Sinton Avenue had the first public transportation line in the area, and Gilbert Avenue was the site of the first cable car line in the city. Access to transportation influenced the growth of this area.
Hoffner Historic District
Bounded by Bluerock, Moline Court, Langland Avenue, and Hamilton Avenue (Northside)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Oct. 3, 1978 (No. 78002077)
Significance: The Hoffner Masonic Lodge, commercial buildings, an old freight depot and private residences contained in the Hoffner Historic District, create a capsulized architectural version of late 19th century urban life. The area is architecturally homogenous in the German style without intrusion.
Laurel Homes Historic District
Bounded by Liberty Street, Linn Street, John Street, and Ezzard Charles Drive (West End)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed May 19, 1987 (No. 87000690)
Significance: Laurel Homes was the second largest Public Works Administration public housing project in the country. It illustrated the housing ideas prevalent in planning circles in the 1930s and represented a milestone in Cincinnati’s local humanitarian efforts to improve the living conditions for the poor. The district consisted of 25 brick apartment buildings with 4 subsidiary brick buildings each three and four stories tall with flat roofs. Between 2000 and 2002 all but three buildings in Laurel Homes were demolished to make way for a new public housing project; the three remaining buildings were rehabilitated but now lack the strong sense of time, place, and history that was so integral to the complex. While no action has been taken to remove this resource from the National Register it no longer retains sufficient integrity to merit listing.
Lower Price Hill Historic District
Roughly bounded by W. 8th Street, State Street, Burns, and English Street (Lower Price Hill)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Nov. 15, 1988 (No. 88002536)
Significance: The Lower Price Hill Historic District is an intact legacy of the communities that developed in Cincinnati’s Mill Creek Valley, the city’s most important transportation and industrial corridor during the 19th century. Among the modes of transportation were the Miami-Erie Canal of the 1820s and the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad of the 1850s. The district’s architectural character is epitomized by the Italianate style brick multi-family residences, which comprise the most numerous property type and approximately 85% of the housing stock.
Lytle Park Historic District
Roughly bounded by E. 3rd, E. 5th, Sycamore, and Butler Streets (Central Business District)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed March 26, 1976 (No. 76001435)
Significance: The Lytle Park area is one of the oldest areas in the city, being the original site of the Fort Washington fort, built in 1789. It also includes the National Historic Landmark Baum-Taft House (Taft Museum), one of the earliest grand mansions with Federalist detail in Ohio. Architecturally, the Lytle Park Historic District encompasses a notably wide gamut of architectural styles. Examples of Georgian, Federal, Victorian, Tudor, Gothic, Baroque, Green Revival, and Contemporary architecture are all contained within a few city blocks in this district.
Madison-Stewart Historic District
Junction of Madison Avenue and Stewart Street (Madisonville)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed May 29, 1975 (No. 75001419)
Significance: This district is significant because it contains good examples of 19th century vernacular buildings. The styles represented are the Federal and Italian Villa. The area was populated as people moved north from the settlement of Columbia on the Ohio River. The homes date from between 1833 and 1900. Madisonville is named in honor of President James Madison.
Madison and Woodburn Historic District
District extends along Woodburn Avenue between Madison Road and Burdette Avenue (East Walnut Hills)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed June 3, 1983 (No. 83001983)
Significance: The Madison-Woodburn Historic District is significant as a grouping of late 19th and early 20th century historic urban architecture composed of examples of Italianate, Gothic, Queen Anne, Classical Revival, and Art Deco styled buildings. Most of the buildings were constructed during a period of suburban expansion from 1875-1910 and are located in a small neighborhood business district known historically as Woodburn.
Main and Third Street Cluster
300-302, 304-306 Main Street, and 208-210 E. 3rd Street (Central Business District)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed July 15, 1983 (No. 83001984)
Significance: This cluster is composed of six significant late 19th and early 20th century buildings exhibiting distinctive architectural characteristics and styles associated with their period of construction as applied to commercial use. Their scale, location, materials, and setting produced a grouping that is both cohesive in design, feeling, and association and visually distinct from its surroundings. The area once housed the University of Cincinnati’s McMicken School of Design and the offices of Salmon B. Chase, Supreme Court Justice and President Lincoln’s Secretary of the Treasury.
Mount Auburn Historic District
Extends along both side of Auburn Avenue roughly between Ringold Street and William H. Taft Road (Mt. Auburn)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed March 28, 1973 (No. 73001464)
Significance: Mt. Auburn is significant as Cincinnati's first suburb and contains notable houses of Federal, Greek Revival, Italian Villa, Romanesque Revival, and Georgian Revival styles. The houses date from 1819 to the turn of the century and are associated with the prominent Cincinnatians who built them. Arguably one of the most noteworthy of the Mt. Auburn houses is the William Howard Taft House, a National Historic Landmark and Cincinnati’s only National Park site.
Ninth Street Historic District
9th Street between Vine Street and Plum Street (Central Business District)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Nov. 25, 1980 (No. 80003067)
Significance: The Ninth Street Historic District is a cohesive assemblage of 19th and early 20th century urban architecture in Cincinnati and is also important as a representation of the 19th century “walking city” environment. Diverse samples of the Greek Revival, Italianate, and Queen Anne styles are included. The area around Ninth Street consists primarily of single-family dwellings, with a mixture of shops, churches, and boarding houses.
Over-the-Rhine Historic District
Roughly bounded by Reading Road, Dorsey, Sycamore, Liberty, and Vine Streets, Central Parkway, and McMicken Avenue (Over-the-Rhine)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed May 17, 1983 (No. 83001985)
Significance: The Over-the-Rhine Historic District encompasses 362.5 acres of the original German community. The majority of structures are two-, three-, and four-story brick or stone edifices erected in the last half of the 19th century for residential and commercial uses. Vernacular, Greek Revival, Italianate, and Queen Anne styles predominate. The area was once one of the largest German-American neighborhoods in the United States.
Peeble's Corner Historic District
Roughly Bounded by E. McMillan Street and Gilbert Avenue (Walnut Hills)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Nov. 14, 1985 (No. 85002835)
Significance: Peeble's Corner Historic District is comprised of approximately 80 buildings exhibiting a mixture of late 19th and early 20th century urban domestic architecture. Classical Revival is the style of choice; however, Italianate, Queen Anne and Art Deco are also present. The district was once the end of the line for a horse-drawn car line established in 1872.
Prospect Hill Historic District
Generally bounded by Liberty Street, Sycamore Avenue, Boal Street, Channing Street, and Highland Avenue (Mt. Auburn)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Sept. 4, 1980 (No. 80003078)
Significance: The Prospect Hill Historic District includes over 200 buildings, which together comprise a community of marked architectural significance. Built as single and double homes, the buildings are mostly tall brick structures with long, narrow floor plates. Among the architectural styles in this hillside area are Italianate, Queen Anne, Federal, and Greek Revival, and the area includes the National Historic Landmark George Hunt Pendleton House.
Race Street Historic District
Roughly, along Race Street, W. 6th Street, W. 7th Street, and Shillito Place (Central Business District)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Aug. 4, 1995 (No. 95000878)
Significance: With a period of significance from 1877 to 1952, the Race Street Historic District exemplifies the transition in architecture from low-scale revival styles of Greek Revival, Italianate, Second Empire, Romanesque Revival, Renaissance Revival, and Jacobethan to the newer Commercial and Moderne. The district includes a total of 25 low- and mid-rise commercial buildings ranging in height from 2 to 12 stories, with the average height of 4- to 6-stories tall. All the buildings are built to the sidewalk line and have 1- or 2-story storefronts that have been changed over time.
St. Peter's Lick Run Historic District
2145-2153 Queen City Avenue (South Fairmount)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Oct. 4, 1989 (No. 89001453)
Significance: St. Peter’s Lick Run Historic District is the oldest remnant of a German Catholic settlement west of the Mill Creek in Cincinnati. This district contains the second oldest German Catholic church (c. 1840) and school (c. 1850) in the 19-county Archdiocese of Cincinnati. The district was named from a combination of St. Peter’s cemetery in the area and Lick Run Pike, the local thoroughfare. This district is evidence of an early German settlement on the west side of Cincinnati.
Spring Grove Cemetery Historic District
4521 Spring Grove Avenue / Spring Grove Cemetery (Winton Place and College Hill)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed May 13, 1976 (No. 76001440)
Significance: Spring Grove Cemetery was established in 1845 and remains an active cemetery today. It consists of 733 acres of which 387 acres are beautifully landscaped and maintained. The concept of a “lawn plan” cemetery was created here, with the premise of establishing a pictorial union between architecture, sculpture, and landscape gardening. Among the notable architectural and sculptural monuments is the Spring Grove Cemetery Chapel, an outstanding example of Carolingian Romanesque architecture, was listed individually in the National Register in 1980.
Sycamore-13th Street Grouping Historic District
Located between 12th and 13th Streets at Sycamore Street (Over-the-Rhine)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed June 1, 1982 (No. 820003588)
Significance: This grouping reflects the significant architecture associated with middle- and late-Nineteenth Century domestic architecture. Styles include Greek Revival, Queen Anne, and Italianate. Notable buildings are the Stephen Gano, Bernard Burdick, and John G. Ahrens Buildings.
West Fourth Street Historic District
Bounded by Central Avenue, W. 5th Street, Plum Street, and McFarland Street (Central Business District)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Aug. 13, 1976 (No. 76001443)
Significance: The West Fourth Street Historic District survives as the finest intact remnant of Cincinnati’s turn-of-the-century downtown streetscape. It reflects the height of expansion of residential, wholesale, retail and industrial activities within the Central Business District between 1870 and 1927. The architecture is primarily Italianate, Second Renaissance Revival and Commercial.
On Aug. 13, 1979 the boundaries of the West Fourth Street Historic District were amended to include an area generally bounded by W. 5th Street and Perry Street between Central Avenue and Plum Street and 4th Street between Central Avenue and Race Street (No. 79001861).
Westwood Town Center Historic District
Epworth and Harrison Avenues (Westwood)
National Register of Historic Places -- Listed Dec. 2, 1974 (No. 74001515)
Significance: The Westwood Town Center Historic District contains a range of buildings representing building modes of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Architecturally, the district contains good examples of Queen Anne, High Victorian Gothic, Jacobethan Revival, Late Gothic Revival, Frank Lloyd Wright Modern, and Renaissance Revival. Churches, businesses, public buildings, and residences make up the heart of this suburban district.