About City Planning
"To create an aesthetic, vibrant urban center, that is a model for cities nationwide."
"To utilize creative planning principles, to guide land use while ensuring excellent customer service and fostering safe and sustainable building development."
The Department of City Planning is a high-performance team that guides land use and zoning. Through sound planning practices, City Planning ensures that our great city is enriched with vitality, thrives as an urban center, and is a model to other cities nationwide.
The Department of City Planning:
- Develops and administers the Zoning Code, Subdivision Rules and Regulations, and other land use regulatory processes.
- Staffs the City Planning Commission.
- Provides demographic, mapping, and analysis services.
- Develops special plans, including the Comprehensive Plan, Consolidated Plan, Urban Renewal Plans, Community Plans, and Tax Increment Financing plans.
- Manages federally funded program reviews, including environmental reviews of projects.
- Processes zone change applications.
- Manages Planned Developments and Interim Development Control Overlay Districts.
- Assists other City Departments with special projects as assigned.