Frequently Asked Questions

Finance Department FAQs

  1. Do I have to pay the City tax? Do I have to file a return? What is the tax rate?
    Anyone who lives or works in Cincinnati is subject to the 2.1% income tax regardless of age or income level. A tax return is required unless the taxpayer is an employee whose only taxable income are wages and the employer withholds the Cincinnati income tax. A list of streets located within Cincinnati can be obtained by calling the Income Tax Division at 352-3838 between 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  2. How do I get a refund?
    Refund requests must be made within three years from the date of your tax payment, the date the return was due, or within three month after final determination of your federal income tax liability, whichever is later.
  3. Who can get a refund?
    The following may quality for a refund:
    • Nonresidents of Cincinnati who work in and out of Cincinnati.
    • Employees who can claim employee business expenses,
    • Residents of Cincinnati who had total local income taxes withheld in excess of 2.1% may qualify for a refund.
  4. How can I get tax forms other than this website?
    Cincinnati tax forms can be obtained from our website and at any Hamilton County Public Library. You can also call at (513) 352-3827.  Outside of regular business hours a message can be left at 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
  5. I have received a collection notice, but I don't know what it's for.
    The first invoice that is sent to a customer contains a complete description of the charges. If the debt remains unpaid, later reminder notices will be sent. These notices detail the amount of the debt, the date it was due and explain the consequences of non-payment. If you can not recall what your bill was for, you can find help by looking in the upper left corner of your invoice. You will see a box that tells you who has issued your bill. There will be a contact name and number listed.