Streetcar Progress Update: July 14, 2014
Streetcar Progress Update: July 14, 2014
This week marks the one-year anniversary of the start of the streetcar construction contract!
One year ago this week, on July 15, 2013, the City signed a contract with Messer/Prus/Delta Railroad Joint Venture (MPD) to build the Cincinnati Streetcar. Just one short month later, MPD began work with the start of demolition at the Maintenance & Operations Facility (MOF) site. Today, evidence of the past year's construction progress can be seen all over downtown and Over-the-Rhine. The new MOF building is rising out of the ground at the corner of Race and Henry Streets, streetcar tracks are in the ground along Central Parkway, Elm, Race, and 12th Streets, and streetcar station stops are taking shape.
Here's to another year of progress!
Henry Street to close between Elm and Race for track installation
Henry Street between Elm and Race will be closed for approximately two months beginning at 7:00 a.m. Monday, July 14, so crews may install special Y-shaped track to serve the maintenance and operations facility for the Cincinnati Streetcar.
“This track creates turnouts that guide the streetcar in and out of the maintenance and operations facility,” said John Deatrick, the city’s project executive for the streetcar. “The work here is more complicated than in other stretches of track because crews also must install mechanical components and electric switches in customized concrete bases known as tubs.”
Henry Street is scheduled to reopen by mid-September.
Motorists should proceed north on Elm Street through the intersection at Henry, then east on McMicken, then south on Race. Detour signs will be posted.
Main Street to undergo nightly closures this week between 5th and 6th Streets for water main work
Main Street between Fifth and Sixth streets will be closed nightly starting Sunday, July 13, through Wednesday, July 16, so crews can prepare the area for a water main tie-in. The road will close at 8:00 p.m. each night and reopen by 6:00 a.m. the subsequent morning.
Motorists should detour east on 5th Street, north on Broadway and west onto 6th Street. Detour signs will be posted. Sidewalks and crosswalks will remain open.
- 3rd to 4th - Duke gas main installation (5 weeks remaining)
- 5th to 6th, Court to 12th - Water Main installation (1 week remaining)
- 6th to 7th - Duke underground electric manholes (3 weeks remaining)
- 8th to 9th - Duke underground electric conduit installation (2 weeks remaining)
- At 12th - New sanitary and storm sewer installation (2 weeks remaining)
- Government Place to 4th - Duke gas main work (4 weeks remaining)
- 5th to 6th - Water main installation (1 week remaining) Main St. will be closed nightly from Sunday 7/13 thru Wednesday 7/16; 8P-6A. Detours will be posted. Otherwise, traffic will be minimally restricted at all times.
- 6th to 7th - Duke gas tie-ins (4 weeks remaining)
- 7th to Central Parkway - potholing for existing utilities (1 week remaining)
- At Central Parkway - Median and curb ramp restoration (1 week remaining);
- Vine to Walnut - OCS pole foundation installation (1 week remaining)
- Vine to Baldwin Alley - Rail installation, track concrete work (1 week remaining)
- At Race - Track work will continue at the intersection of 12th & Race (54 weeks remaining) The intersection of Race & 12th will be closed until 8/15/14. 12th St. between Elm & Race will be closed also. 12th St. between Vine & Race will be for local traffic only; Republic Alley will be maintained. Race St. between 13th & 12th and Central Parkway & 12th will be for local traffic only. Detours will be posted.
- Walnut to Vine - Duke Gas tie ins (4 weeks remaining)
- At Henry - Sewer pipe lining (1 week remaining)
- 14th to Henry - Time Warner overhead cable installation (7 weeks remaining)
- 14th to Henry - OCS Pole sfoundations (2 weeks remaining)
- 14th to Elder - Duke Electric installation of overhead wire, poles and performing outages (1 week remaining) Outages will be 15 minutes to 2 hours in duration depending on the particular customer along the route. This work includes moving the existing service wire from the old circuit to the new circuit.
- At Liberty - Concrete work will continue at Stop #12 (2 weeks remaining)
- At Findlay - TPSS conduit and foundation work will start in the Findlay Market north parking lot (1 week remaining)
- At 12th - Trackwork will continue at the intersection of 12th & Race (5 weeks remaining) The intersection of Race & 12th will be closed until 8/15/14. 12th St. between Elm & Race will be closed also. 12th St. between Vine & Race will be for local traffic only; Republic Alley will be maintained. Race St. between 13th & 12th and Central Parkway & 12th will be for local traffic only. Detours will be posted.
- At 12th - OCS pole foundations (1 week remaining)
- 12th to Henry - Time Warner Cable overhead cable installation (10 weeks)
- 14th to 15th - Traffic control poles and conduit installation (1 weeks)
- LIberty to Green - traffic signal poles & wiring (1 week)
- Elm to Race - pavement removal (1 week remaining) Henry St. will be closed from Elm to Race starting Mon. 7/14 for 60 days. Detours will be posted. Otherwise, traffic will be minimally restricted at all times.
Construction Coming Soon
The closure at 12th and Race Streets will continue until mid-August. Be sure to check back for updates on progress as track arrives!
In the Central Business District, extensive utility work continues along Walnut and Main Streets.
Progress Last Week
In honor of this week's one-year anniversary of the start of the streetcar construction contract, here's a look back at some major milestones we've reached in the past year:
August 26, 2013 - crews began demolition at the Maintenance & Operations Facility (MOF) site at the corner of Race and Henry Streets.
July 8, 2014 - The new MOF building shows major progress, with maintenance pit construction and exterior masonry work well underway.
October 25, 2013 - MPD crews poured concrete in the first stretch of streetcar track along Elm Street.
July 11, 2014 - Track along Elm, Central Parkway, and most of Race and 12th Streets is complete, as well as five streetcar station stops, including this one at 14th and Race Streets.
July 10, 2014 - Today, crews are working to prepare for the installation of the first streetcar switches at the corner of 12th and Race.