Garbage must be placed in a City issued or “City approved” cart. A “City approved” cart is one that is compatible with DPS lifting equipment and registered with the City. These carts must have a lift pocket and a steel lower lift bar for fully automated and semi-automated collection systems. Garbage in carts is not to exceed 75 lbs. DPS is not responsible for damages to cart due to normal collection operation.
Examples of Materials that can be placed in a trash cart
- Household trash
- Sawdust only if placed in a sealed bag
- Hypodermic needles and sharps only if placed in a rigid container with lid before it is placed in the cart and marked sharps
- Paint cans that have the lid removed and the paint dried out.
- Carpet can be placed in the cart if it fits inside the cart with the lid closed
- Up to 3 items that do not fit in the cart that are less than 40 lbs. and no larger than 3’ x 2’ x 2’ can be placed next to the garbage carts for collection by the crews. If the item exceeds these dimensions it must be schedule for bulky collection. See below for items that can be placed outside the cart
The City of Cincinnati will not collect garbage in a cart that is not compatible with the City’s lifting equipment and not registered with the City of Cincinnati.
Important Rules To Remember
To help keep neighborhoods clean and orderly, be sure to follow these trash rules.
- Put all household trash in the City-issued trash cart.
- Have your trash at the curb by 6 a.m. on your pickup day but no earlier than 6 PM the previous day.
- Fully close the lid on your trash cart.
- Call 591-6000 or visit 5916000.com if your trash cart is stolen or damaged.
- Removed your cart from the curb within 24 hours of collection.
- DON'T put your trash cart out before 5 p.m. the night before it's picked up.
- DON'T abuse your trash cart.
- DON'T write on, mark up, paint, cut or alter your trash cart in any way.
- DON'T put demolition debris, yard waste or hazardous materials in the trash cart.
- DON'T trade trash carts with a neighbor.
- DON'T put trash at the curb on City holidays.
- DON'T place carts around any obstructions, mailboxes, low hanging wires etc.
- DON'T park in fornt of cart on collection day.
Citizens with cart exemptions are required to set out their garbage the day of collection by 6:00 AM. Citizens are responsible for potential mess caused by wildlife and vandalism when garbage is set out improperly, or when setting out garbage under the cart exemption clause.