Trash Changes Will Soon Take Effect
City of Cincinnati Trash Changes Will Soon Take Effect
New Trash Carts Allow For Semi-Automated Trash Collection & Cleaner Neighborhoods
Citywide changes take effect Monday, Oct. 7, 2013 for both residential and commercial waste collection.
Residents are now required to place all household trash in the City provided trash cart for collection. No additional bags or trash cans will be collected.
These changes will allow for a semi-automated operation, which means City workers won’t manually lift and dump trash anymore. Instead, they will roll the carts to the truck. They will hook the cart’s lift bar onto the trucks mechanical arm, which does the heavy lifting. This method will protect worker's health, improve the cleanliness of neighborhoods, and save taxpayer money by reducing worker injuries.
Beginning Oct. 7, 2013, the City will no longer collect trash from commercial buildings, mixed-use buildings or buildings with 5 or more residential units. Owners of these properties are responsible for contracting with a registered commercial waste hauler for their trash collection.
If they have not already done so, commercial property owners can find a registered commercial waste hauler.
Residential Cart Delivery
While most of the carts have been delivered, the final aspect of the deployment includes correcting any missed deliveries and delivering smaller or larger carts for residents who have made requests.
The City will continue working with these residents on an individual basis until the remaining carts have been delivered. Residents who have not yet received their cart are being encouraged to use their old cans until their new one arrives, and then begin using their new cart as soon as it delivered.
- Residents who have already received a cart should use the cart correctly using the new requirements. Residential changes include the following requirements to:
- Put all household trash in the City provided cart
- Fully close the lid of the cart
- Place trash at the curb by 6am on the scheduled collection day
Trash Amnesty Weeks For Residential Collections
On residential collection Amnesty Weeks, residents will be permitted to set out additional trash in sealed plastic trash bags next to their approved City-provided container. Amnesty Weeks are centered around holidays when households typically generate more trash than normal.
Upcoming Amnesty Weeks include:
- Thanksgiving: Nov. 30 to Dec. 6, 2013
- Winter Holidays: Dec. 26, 2013 to Jan. 3, 2014
- Memorial Day: May 27 to May 31, 2014
- Independence Day: July 5 to July 11, 2014
- Labor Day: Sept. 2 to Sept. 6, 2014
With the new trash changes, residents can save space in their trash cart and help the community by recycling! Many of the items tossed in trash carts can be recycled which can significantly reduce the amount of trash thrown away each week.
Residents should continue to fill their recycling carts with acceptable items on their recycling collection week and can have more than one recycling cart.
- Changes that Council previously approved to the Municipal Code take effect on Oct. 7, 2013.
- Nearly 88,000 trash carts have been delivered to residents since the program began in April.
- Recycling acceptable items can significantly reduce the amount of trash thrown away in carts. Residents can request an additional recycling cart by calling 591-6000.
- Residents may call 591-6000 to request an additional recycling cart, report any problems with their new trash carts or request to swap for a larger or smaller cart.