Background On The DOJ Agreement
In April 2001, the Mayor of Cincinnati requested that the U.S. Department of Justice review the Cincinnati Police Department's use of force. This request indicated the City's commitment to minimizing the risk of excessive use of force in the Police Department and to promoting police integrity. In response to these requests, DOJ decided to conduct an investigation pursuant to its authority under Section 14141.
DOJ's investigation, conducted with the full cooperation of the City, included extensive interviews with City and CPD officials, CPD officers, leaders of the Fraternal Order of Police and the Sentinels Police Association, community members and civil rights organization representatives.
With the cooperation of the City, DOJ reviewed all firearm investigations completed between 1995 and June 2001, every complaint filed and reduced to writing against the CPD between January 1998 and June 2001 alleging excessive force, and all uses of force from June 2000 to June 2001.
In addition to analyzing CPD use-of-force incidents, DOJ examined CPD's management practices related to use of force, including its use-of-force policies, training curriculum, supervisory procedures and disciplinary system.
DOJ's investigation resulted in a Memorandum of Agreement identifying changes to be made by the Cincinnati Police Department. The Memorandum also called for an independent monitor to continually assess the City's progress. The City presented regular status reports to the monitor. The Memorandum of Agreement between the City and the U. S. Department of Justice terminated on April 12, 2007 with the Police Department being in full compliance with 93% of the terms and conditions.
For the remaining provisions (all found to be in partial compliance for at least one year) and in response to City Council’s motion to achieve full compliance, CPD personnel are currently working with the effected sections within the Police Department, as well as the Citizen’s Complaint Authority, to achieve full compliance.
Documents and Reports:
- Memorandum of Agreement (MOA)
- DOJ's Notification of Termination of MOA
- Congratulations from DOJ
- Council Motion Requiring 100% MOA Compliance
- FYI Memo Regarding Implementation of Remaining MOA Provisions
Status Reports Of The Independent Monitor
Quarterly Reports To The Independent Monitor
- 1st Quarterly Status Report (August 2002)
- 2nd Quarterly Status Report (November 2002)
- 3rd Quarterly Status Report (February 2003)
- 4th Quarterly Status Report (May 2003)
- 5th Quarterly Status Report (August 2003)
- 6th Quarterly Status Report (November 2003)
- 7th Quarterly Status Report (February 2004)
- 8th Quarterly Status Report (May 2004)
- 9th Quarterly Status Report (August 2004)
- 10th Quarterly Status Report (November 2004)
- 11th Quarterly Status Report (February 2005)
- 12th Quarterly Status Report (May 2005)
- 13th Quarterly Status Report (August 2005)
- 14th Quarterly Status Report (November 2005)
- 15th Quarterly Status Report (February 2006)
- 16th Quarterly Status Report (June 2006)
- 17th Quarterly Status Report (November 2006)
- 18th Quarterly Status Report (February 2007)