Parking System Lease & Modernization
Parking Modernization Plan For Cincinnati
The City Manager is proposing a public-public partnership between the City and the Port Authority for the lease & modernization of the City of Cincinnati's parking system.
- A public-public partnership between the City and the Port Authority, so the parking system remains in the public realm.
- On-street parking will be operated by a contractor - in this case, Xerox, who operates 30 parking systems across the country.
- Off-street facilities will be operated by a contractor, Denison Parking.
- The City has spelled out all rates, hours and enforcement. This is not up to the operator.
- New technology must be installed before any rates are incrementally increased.
- Downtown meter rates stay at $2/hour initially. The rates will increase by 25¢ approximately every 3 years.
- Neighborhood meter rates increase to 75¢/hour once meters are upgraded with new technology. After that, rates would only go up by 25¢-increments. Based on the agreement, it would take about 6 years for those 25¢ increases to occur.
- Rates are capped.
- Downtown meters are in effect 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Neighborhood meters are in effect 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- "First 10 minutes free" remains at downtown meters where it supports business growth.
- Holidays and Sundays remain free at meters.
- Operator can only boot cars in cases of extreme non-compliance (at least 3 unpaid tickets).
- Booting technology would allow car to be freed after fines are paid in full (could be on the spot).
Better Convenience For You
Proposed upgrades to Cincinnati's parking system would:
- Provide information about rates and hours, events, and closures to motorists online, via cell phone, or social media
- Provide wayfinding apps to customers to help them find available spaces
- Use easy-to-understand messaging
- Hours of operation programmed so customers do not mistakenly pay a meter
- Accept coins, credit and debit cards, and phone payments
- Alert customers via text when their phone payment is about to expire