School & Adolescent Health
The Cincinnati Health Department's Division of School & Adolescent Health Services coordinates health services, working hard to keep students healthy and ready to learn.
School-Based Health Centers
Learn about the Onesight Vision Center at Oyler School, operated by the Cincinnati Health Department, watch a video here
School-Based Health Centers provide a comprehensive range of clinical services that specifically meet the serious health problems of young people in the community.
The medical provider is a nurse practitioner. Students may use these services as a site for acute health care visits or as an integral part of their medical home. The services provided include:
- Routine physical exams, including sports and work physicals
- Asthma and other chronic illness diagnosis and management
- Acute illness and injury treatment
- Routine lab tests
- Prescription medications
- Health education, counseling and wellness promotion
- Fitness and nutrition education and counseling
- Referrals for healthcare services not provided at the clinics, including mental health and dental services
- Oyler Elementary
- Withrow Elementary
- Academy of World Languages
- Western Hills & Dater High School (2012-13)
Cincinnati Health Department has added school-based health centers to the existing clinic sites: Price Hill, Elm Street, Braxton-Cann, Northside, Millvale, and Crest Smile Shoppe.
Student Health Services
- HealthCheck Program: Perform physical exams at school and linkage with primary health care providers
- Health assessments & referrals
- Case management for acute and chronic health problems
- Immunization compliance audits and vaccinations
- Screenings: Vision, hearing, BMI and dental
- Consultation/collaboration with primary care providers and school staff
- Health education and counseling
- Coordination with families, health professionals and community agencies
- Collaboration with community partners to address pressing public health problems: obesity, dental disease, mental health, access to care, covering the uninsured and disease preparedness.
- Mentoring and training of School Health Assistants
- Chief Medical Consultant for Cincinnati Public Schools