Healthy Homes Assessments
A Healthy Homes assessment is provided by a Cincinnati Health Department professional. There is NO cost to you, and the assessment may identify potential health risk issues in your home.
- makes homes safer.
- provides homeowners and rental property owners with information on how to prevent health and safety hazards.
- addresses multiple childhood illnesses, injuries and housing related hazards as a whole.
Children and elderly individuals spend up to 90% of their time inside the home. A healthy home improves the quality of life.
Healthy environmental conditions are crucial to the well being of the occupants. An environmental assessment may help you monitor and correct problems.
Healthy Homes Visual Assessment
The assessment looks at health and safety environmental issues in and around your home that may contribute to poor health, may present safety hazards or may cause accidents. It is performed by a Cincinnati Health Department professional inspector.
You must be present during the assessment process. The inspector will look at and identify issues that could adversely affect your health. These areas are:
- House Keeping
Tips For A Healthy Home
- Keep it well-ventilated.
- Don't smoke indoors.
- Use exhaust fans.
- Keep it pest free. Remove food, water and shelter that attract pests.
- Use screens in open windows. Fill holes in the foundation.
- Keep it dry. Look for leaky roofs and leaky plumbing fixtures.
- Empty drip pans. Mop up spills.
- Keep it contaminant-free. Reduce lead-related hazards. Properly store cleaning products.
- Keep it clean. Use garbage cans with lids. Take out garbage regularly. Reduce clutter.
- Keep it safe. Install smoke detectors. Keep children's play areas free from hard, sharp surfaces.
- Keep it well-maintained. Inspect and repair your home regularly.
- Take care of problems before they become too big.