Homeowner Preservation Initiative
The City of Cincinnati has contracted with Working In Neighborhoods (WIN) to provide help to residents in danger of losing their homes. WIN has agreements with Smart Money, the Home Ownership Center of Greater Cincinnati, and the Better Housing League to also provide these services.
The counseling and services include:
- An initial assessment to determine the homeowner's current mortgage situation, income and expenses.
- The counselor will review the homeowner's loan documents, income documentation and bills.
- The counselor will work with the homeowner to develop a realistic spending plan and determine the amount of mortgage they can afford.
- The counselor will contact the lender to determine if loss mitigation is an option for the homeowner.
- When feasible, the counselor will work with the lender to develop a workout plan, reduce fees and/or refinance the terms of the loan.
- The counselor will provide access to alternative lenders to refinance the mortgage at a reasonable rate when feasible.
- The counselor will help the homeowner apply for foreclosure rescue funding. Rescue funds will come from the Ohio Home Rescue Fund program.
Contact Working In Neighborhoods at 513-541-4109 for help.
Emergency Mortgage Assistance
Low- and moderate-income homeowners who face foreclosure due to job loss, illness, death of primary wage earner, or other circumstances beyond their control can get help to bring their loan current if they have re-established an income stream to continue future mortgage payments. One-time assistance of up to $2,500 is available.
All homeowners also receive in-depth Emergency Mortgage Assistance counseling services. Contact the Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati at 513-241-9400 for more information.