New Eastbound Elberon Ramp
New Eastbound Elberon Ramp To Open To Traffic Oct. 5
Reconstruction of the U.S. 50/Sixth Street Expressway progresses, marked by the advent of several milestones next week:
- The new eastbound Elberon ramp is scheduled to open to traffic Friday, Oct. 5, 2012; westbound Elberon will continue on the existing viaduct;
- Eastbound Warsaw will be detoured to Wilder to Glenway to eastbound Eighth Street to Linn Street to eastbound US 50;
- Evans at the River Road intersection will be right-in, right-out only;
- State at River Road will remain open.
To accommodate the traffic pattern to merge the new eastbound Elberon ramp into existing US 50 at Evans, short-term lane modifications will be in place throughout the day Oct. 5.
Motorists are reminded that the Sixth Street Expressway/Freeman Avenue ramps will remain closed until Dec. 31 with the following detours in place:
- The ramp from southbound Freeman to westbound US 50 is detoured to westbound Mehring Way to Harriet Street to US 50;
- The ramp from northbound Freeman to eastbound US 50 is detoured to eastbound Eighth Street to southbound Linn Street to US 50;
- The ramp from southbound Freeman to eastbound US 50 is detoured to eastbound West Front Street to eastbound Mehring Way to northbound Main Street to US 50;
- The ramp from eastbound US 50 to north and southbound Freeman is detoured - in advance of the Sixth Street Expressway/Freeman Avenue interchange - to eastbound Mehring Way to Freeman.
In addition, to accommodate bridge rehabilitation work on Freeman Avenue, one lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained on Freeman Avenue for a 60-day period. A traffic shift on Freeman Avenue will be implemented after the first 30 days of work.
Vehicles over 16 tons continue to be restricted from the existing viaduct.
Arrow boards and signs will be in place prior to the work zone to alert motorists of the upcoming lane closures.
To help ensure the safety of the construction workers as well as the traveling public, motorists should remain alert, reduce their speed and watch for stopped traffic while passing through the work zone.